Bread & Puppet performs at TSL
Artist Andre Badilla and TSL co-director Linda Mussmann enjoy TSL's Hudson Harbor Fest
“Theater provides the ways and means for understanding problems and achieving a solution. A group of artists agrees on a text and then acts on it. The action is key. Not the product but the process of action; this is a model we use.”
-Linda Mussmann, Co- Director, Time & Space Limited.
TSL uses this concept of how theater works, as a blueprint for everything the company approaches. Time & Space Limited Theater Company was founded in NYC in 1973. In 1991, TSL moved to Hudson, New York, where it expanded its role as an avant garde theater company to include becoming a community arts organization, while always keeping theater at its core.
TSL’s programming spotlights the powerful role of the arts in awakening individual imaginations and fostering community participation. Whether offering people their first experience with live theater or opera, providing workshops and special enrichment projects for young people that include theater, art, movie-making, circus performance and gardening, or initiating discussions of local and global political issues, TSL is always looking to set off the spark that benefits and alters individual lives.
At its location in Hudson, TSL is both a beacon for change in Upstate New York and a national model, providing its community with an arts organization that is committed to constructing relationships on a local level.
We hope other artists follow our lead in demonstrating that art can be a powerful voice for change, by bringing their work, their passion, and their concerns to their communities.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Kim Bach
- Kim Barke
- Claudia Bruce
- Ailsa Carpenter
- Meg Cashen
- Judith Grunberg
- Linda Mussmann
Time & Space Limited / TSL – expanding minds since 1973.
Now in its 22nd year in Hudson, TSL has established itself as a beacon and leader in the neighborhood, county, and state, shaping the lives of community members through innovative and exciting cultural projects of quality and substance. Its mission is to educate, enliven, and expand the artistic quality of life in the community it serves.
Time & Space Limited creates opportunities for individuals and families to participate in a culturally rich environment by presenting original theater and multi-media productions, independent, documentary and classic movies, music and dance, art exhibitions, community Time To Talk forums, year-round youth programs for ages 4 to 16, and special events of all kinds including live simulcasts of the Metropolitan Opera, the National Theatre of London, TimesTalks LIVE, and other special HD presentations.
TSL was established in 1973 in New York City by Linda Mussmann, and joined by Claudia Bruce in 1976, as an experimental theater company. Upon relocating to Hudson NY in 1991, the founders created and developed programs that support and encourage community awareness and action, innovative thought and discourse, and the possibility of change through art, activism, and education.
Linda Mussmann founded TSL in 1973 in New York City and Claudia Bruce joined as co-director in 1976. Originally housed in a Chelsea storefront, TSL’s mission was to create theater that critiqued the status quo in art and politics and envisioned new ways of seeing and thinking. In 1991, TSL refused a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts that mandated an anti-obscenity pledge. This, combined with rising costs in NYC led TSL to relocate to Hudson, NY, where the organization converted an old bakery into their working space. As community activists and performance artists, Mussmann and Bruce saw the opportunity to use art, advocacy, and open communication to revitalize the community, inspire positive change, and encourage dialogue across divisions of class, color, gender, and ethnicity.
TSL has operated in Hudson for the past 22 years with an expanded mission to educate, enliven, and expand the artistic quality of life in the community it serves and to propose alternatives in art and activism through community-based projects. By adding a range of programming including movies, an art gallery, topical discussions, and in-depth youth programs, Mussmann and Bruce have expanded TSL into a flourishing organization that functions as artistic innovator and community resource.
TSL designs programs that build upon one another, strengthen community networks, and foster reciprocity. Our programs are designed to directly serve the community in a collaborative and constantly evolving effort to forward goals both our neighbors and TSL see as important. Whether offering people their first experience with live theater, a scholarship to day camp, after-school tutoring, or a discussion of local and global political issues, TSL is always looking to set off the spark that benefits and alters individual lives – and, thereby, communities.
Time & Space Limited is [multiple choice] . . .
- the ingenious, one-of-a-kind dream child of Linda Mussmann and Claudia Bruce, founded in NYC in 1973 and operating in Hudson for the past 19 years
- an alternative arts organization housed in an old bakery that has been renovated for the presentation of all kinds of artful events
- the best place in the region to experience documentary, indie, and classic movies; original theater productions; visiting artists from all over the world; live simulcasts and encore presentations of opera, theater, conversations with prominent authors, and other special events, as well as discussion forums, community get-togethers, and year-round youth programs
- the big red brick building on Columbia Street with two satellite dishes on the roof and a new youth center on the ground floor providing innovative and stimulating programs for Hudson's youth
- a partner with Bard College tutors as well as other independent coordinators who inspire and challenge our young people
- all of the above
[If you chose *all of the above*, you are correct!]
Time & Space Limited fans (match the quotes with the authors):
- "Theater provides the ways and means for understanding problems and achieving a solution. A group of artists agrees on a text and then acts on it. The action is key. Not the product but the process of action; this is a model we use."
- " . . . most important is the way they constantly strive to weave TSL into the fabric of Hudson – and Hudson into the fabric of TSL."
- "Time & Space Limited is unlimited in its approach to theater. Using words, music, songs, lights and visuals, the work presents poetic images with a vigor and imagination that is enlivening and certainly rare now. It is a breath of fresh air."
- "Time & Space Limited is a prime example of the importance of art in any community. I am a big fan of Linda and Claudia."
- "TSL is as good an example as I can think of for what an organic, self-organized social network of resistance needs as an institutional support framework. . . . Hudson is very fortunate to have this oasis of humanity."
- "If they [Linda and Claudia] could be cloned, it would be wonderful."
- "Whenever I go to TSL, I feel like I am going home."
- Linda Mussmann, TSL Founder
- Metroland [Local Heroes Award, 1998]
- Merce Cunningham, 2006
- F. Murray Abraham, Friend & Academy Award Winner
- Stan Goff, Writer, Activist, and US Army veteran
- Marie Wilson, Founder – The White House Project
- Judith Benenson – TSL Member and Volunteer
[If you answered each one in order, you are correct – again!]